Thursday, September 2, 2010

Oatmeal "Cookies"

We have completed two full weeks of school, 3 Back to school nights and countless emergency contact forms!

Getting everyone out the door is a fun event in the morning, especially when some are a bit harder to wake up, a bit pickier in their choices of breakfast and the list continues! I usually do two hot breakfasts in the morning but having other options is always great!
One of my favorites, and I am happy to say, one of my kids favorites are my Oatmeal breakfast "cookies". They are more like a Power Bar without all the added preservatives! These are great for a grab and go snack too. During sports seasons we use these a lot! I usually pack them one of these and a small container of yogurt and they are off!
I pack them with all sorts of fruit and nuts! They are so simple I thought I would share them with you!
Similar to an Oatmeal Cookie...but I cut all the sugar in half and use a combination of whole wheat flour and white flour. I find that when I use all wheat they are a bit too dense...
2 sticks of Butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
*2tsp Benefiber* totally optional, but it works for us!
1 tsp cinnamon (I exclude this because I am allergic...)
3 cups oats (either quick cooking or old fashioned)
THEN, I add...
1 cup sliced almonds (which I toast lightly)
1 cup walnuts or pecans
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup cranberries
1 cup raisins
and sometimes I add chopped up apricots
I use a regular size ice cream scoop and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. I use silpat sheets to prevent sticking and then store in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers. They normally don't last long enough to go stale!
After school, if it has been a good day, they get yummy treats like this, with a little extra hidden fiber in them!

Give them a try sometime!! Enjoy!

What do you think about this article?

  1. These look delish!!

    I hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend. The weather over here on the Eastern Shore is beautiful!

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. man i wish i could have one. this would be a girls night out treat for sure. hey will u make some for bella?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never travel far from home without snacks!! I will probably try to smuggle some to SB for us!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Post

Next Post