Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My first Distress....

I mentioned this project yesterday, and today I have the pictures to follow! This was my first "real" distressing project. I scoured and lurked all over some new blogs to find techniques...

It started out like this...this corner cabinet has been a few colors already. The black worked with my distressed black buffet from Ballard when they were in the same room...but now they reside in separate corners of the house. Time for a change!


After it fell over on me a few times we decided that laying it down was the best option....I spray painted it with an economical (cheap) spray paint. I DO NOT recommend the same one I used...it wasn't really that cheap, it just was really a pain! It was supposed to cover in 2 coats...not exactly. I think you give up after two coats because the spray nozzle sucks so bad!

Then I used a white latex oops paint that I had and covered the shelves and all the nooks and crannies that the spray paint left behind.
Then I sanded some corners, wiped off the excess dust and hit the sanded areas with a water based minwax stain. Then wiped it off and sanded off some more areas. I must say that I am pretty impressed with the results. I wanted a farm house look to it and I got it. The pictures are really not the greatest...


Here it is in the dining room. It would normally hold all my milk glass and antique wine goblets but I had helpers and I haven't had an opportunity to stage everything again....did I mention that I finished this Friday afternoon before Easter?? Was in a bit of a hurry...


Some of the sites that I found my inspiration and direction.....

Shanty2Chic

The Shabby Chic Cottage

Beyond the Picket Fence

What do you think about this article?

Previous Post

Next Post